NunatsiaqOnline 2016-01-21: NEWS: Coroner’s inquest finally called into Igloolik police shooting death: “The purpose of this inquest is to explore the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr. Felix Taqqaugaq who died in Igloolik on Mar. 20, 2012 following a confrontation with RCMP members,” the news release said.
Anyone who wishes to participate or make a presentation is invited to call the coroner’s office at 867-975-6318.
Taqqaugaq, a 29-year-old man with a history of mental illness, was fatally shot by police who had attended his home after someone from the community called in a complaint.
Elizabeth Kappaniaq told Nunatsiaq News last October that most people in town knew her brother Felix — a father and husband — was being treated and medicated for mental illness.
She said she had an understanding with local RCMP officers that they would call her first if her brother was having problems because she was adept at calming him down and diffusing potentially volatile situations.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.