Mexico prison riot: at least 52 people killed and 12 injured in Monterrey | World news | The Guardian: “They left (Topo Chico) in the control of organized crime,” said Father Robert Coogan, a prison chaplain in the norther city of Saltillo, who belongs to a ministry that provides services to inmates in northern Mexican states.
The most recent report on prisons by the National Human Rights Commission (CNDH) found widespread evidence of “autogobierno” – or self-rule by inmates – and assigned the Topo Chico facility a score of 5.72 out of 10. The survey showed a deterioration in Nuevo Le�n prisons over the past five years; only five of Mexico’s 32 states ranked worse.
Managing prisons has proved difficult in Mexico as the inmate populations swell with detainees from the ongoing crackdown on organized crime and drug cartels. Overcrowding has aggravated existing problems of corruption and intimidation in the cell blocks: prisoners are forced to pay inflated prices for everything from protection to proper food to being marked present in roll calls.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.