africametro africannews: This follows two days of protests across campus, including a large one yesterday afternoon, in which students were dancing topless to express their rights over their bodies.
In response to requests from students, a task force is being convened to help address holes in the policy on sexual assault on campus. The announcement was made this morning via email that a meeting for all interested staff and students will be held at 4 pm in the Eden Grove Red lecture theatre. The meeting will be chaired by staff member Thabani Masuku and student Catriona Macleod.
The list of alleged rapists consists of 11 names, and after being re-posted in the popular Rhodes SRC (Student Representative Council) Facebook group at about 8pm on Sunday, a large gathering of students proceeded to the various campus residences of the men named on the list and called for them to face the crowd.
Between 10pm and 12pm on Sunday night, three of the accused men voluntarily came out to meet the protesters. Witnesses report that none of the accused were manhandled.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.