Northern Alberta First Nation asks to join N.W.T.'s Dene Nation - North - CBC News: Chief Joe Pastion says the Dene Tha's request stems from a desire to join forces with other Dene First Nations, which are predominately located in the Northwest Territories.
"I guess an alliance is better than standing out alone," says Pastion. "Which in Alberta is predominately other nations than Dene."
The Dene Tha First Nation represents Dene in the Northwest Alberta communities of Bushe River, Meander River, and Chateh (formerly known as Assumption), though Pastion says some members still hunt and trap in areas near the Northwest Territories community of Enterprise.
"We do have traditional boundaries that overlap into Northwest Territories," said Pastion, "and our elders, through our oral history, they do paint the picture that the majority of our area... back in the nomadic days, a lot of Dene people travel the land. A lot of settlements were not too far in the Northwest Territories."
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.