Brexit fallout: Anti-migrant attacks surge in the UK - News from Al Jazeera: In the aftermath of the vote, xenophobic and racist hate crimes surged by 57 percent, with the National Police Chief's Council saying it was the worst spike in British history. Eastern European migrants have been a particular target of such xenophobia. Polish community centres and shops have been vandalised, while stories of verbal abuse proliferate.
"Roma migrants tend to have the double whammy: they're not just Eastern European migrants, they're also Roma Eastern European migrants," says Shay Clipson, an advocate with the National Alliance of Gypsy, Traveller, and Roma Women.
"They may be Czech Roma, or Slovak Roma, but the other Czechs and Slovaks don't particularly like them either. Many are here because they are escaping persecution in their countries of origin. They are not just here to make a living, they are here so that they can live," says Clipson.
The Roma are the biggest ethnic minority in Europe, with a population of about 12 million living mostly in Eastern Europe, often in extreme poverty and subject to discrimination and segregation. A significant number moved to the UK after their countries of origin joined the EU in 2004.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.