PRESS RELEASE: NWAC Extends Heartfelt Condolences to Family and Loved Ones of the Late Annie Pootoogook - NWAC - October 13, 2016 (Ottawa, ON) – The Native Women’s Association of Canada (NWAC) would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to the family, loved ones, and Inuit community known to the late Annie Pootoogook, an admired, internationally-acclaimed Inuit artist. Our heart goes out to the Inuit community members across Canada who are in the midst of mourning their loss at today’s memorial at St. Paul’s Eastern United Church in Ottawa, Ontario and at yesterday’s funeral at Pootoogook’s hometown of Cape Dorset, Nunavut.
In solidarity with Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, we would also like to sternly condemn the racist and derogatory comments posted online by an Ottawa police officer after the body of Annie Pootoogook was found in Ottawa’s Rideau River on September 19.
Rebecca Kudloo, President of Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada said, “We will not be commenting on Annie’s death at this time, out of respect for her family’s wishes.”
NWAC supports Natan Obed, President of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, in calling for stern disciplinary action against the officer whose hurtful and despicable words further highlight the issue of systemic racism against Indigenous peoples in Canada and the urgent need to address it.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.