Update on #StandingRock struggle / #NoDAPL
It has been a very roller-coaster kind of day with #NoDAPL events. It is NOT all over and people are NOT all going home now. Please do not turn your gaze away from this struggle. Read on:
– ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS DID NOT GRANT THE EASEMENT TO BRING THE PIPELINE UNDER THE WATER AT THE CURRENT ROUTE THAT IS ON UNCEDED TREATY LAND. This means that Energy Transfer Partners does not have the proper permit to follow their currently planned route and drill under the water at the current site.
This is definitely a victory for the Power of the People when we take action. The government was forced to bow before the incredible strength of the movement that we all have been building for several months.
BUT people are legitimately worrying that Energy Transfer Partners might still drill there anyway – they might just go ahead and drill and worry about the fines later, which the Trump Administration may not even levy. Maybe the corporation and the feds hope that everyone will go home and then there will only be a handful of people on-site to oppose them.
Another unanswered question is whether the Trump Administration will simply find a way to reverse the Army Corps of Engineers’ current decision.
– Even if the Dakota Access Pipeline does not go through at that site, the feds are clearly making plans to reroute it so it can be finished. This project is still not safe. Water is still sacred. The black snake pipeline needs to be stopped no matter where it is routed!
– The Army Corps of Engineers’ eviction notice for December 5 has not been rescinded. They had previously issued this notice and said that the camps needed to be cleared away from land that the Army Corps of Engineers considers to be “theirs” (even though it is actually unceded treaty land belonging to the people of Standing Rock). It remains to be seen whether Morton County or any other authorities will try to clear the camps, although they would be unlikely to do this right now when the numbers of people are in the thousands.
– There is still the very important matter of hundreds of people (more than 550) who have been charged with various crimes and misdemeanors. No matter what happens, a key demand will need to be: Drop All The Charges Now! Additionally, Morton County Sheriffs and other abusers will need to be brought to justice.
– All of this means that everyone who supports #NoDAPL will need to continue to be vigilant and apply all possible forms of pressure.
Read the full article …
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.