Trump Plans to Slash Funding for PBS and NPR Stations | Free Press: Contact Info:
Timothy Karr, 201-533-8838
WASHINGTON — The Hill reports that President-Elect Donald Trump’s transition team has recommended privatizing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), the entity that oversees distribution of federal money to hundreds of public radio and television stations around the country.
According to the report, the transition team is closely following a blueprint from the conservative Heritage Foundation, which seeks not only to privatize the CPB but to slash all funding for the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Free Press President and CEO Craig Aaron made the following statement:
“The idea of privatizing public broadcasting is appalling. Years of public polling show that the American people consider support for public media to be among the most important uses of their tax dollars — even if they don't realize how little we actually spend on these vital services. Combined with a plan to shut down important arts and humanities programs, this proposal shows that those advising the Trump administration are completely out of step with the public. We should be spending more on public and community media — which serve as an antidote to fake news — not cutting their funds. As those who have tried to zero out support for public media in the past discovered, millions and millions of people will oppose these attacks."
Links to this posting:
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.