Far-right group aims to stop informal migration to Europe | Europe | DW | 09.06.2017: Europe
Far-right group aims to stop informal migration to Europe
After crowdfunding 73,000 euros a new far-right, pan-European movement is campaigning to stop informal migration to Europe, drawing concern from humanitarian and leftist groups. Diego Cupolo reports from Catania, Sicily.
Lorenzo Fiato (Diego Cupolo)
The far-right group Identitarian Generation was unknown in mainstream media before obstructing a humanitarian vessel transporting migrants rescued at sea last month.
In a scene reminiscent of Greenpeace activists blocking whaling ships with inflatable boats, members of IG's Italian and Austrian factions,accompanied by Canadian alt-right journalist Lauren Southern, temporarily stopped a SOS Mediterranee rescue ship from entering the port of Catania before being intercepted by the Italian Coast Guard.
Since the action, Italian IG leader Lorenzo Fiato (pictured at top) said his group has crowdfunded 73,000 euros ($82,000) and recruited more than 150 members throughout the country. The funds will be used towards future actions aimed at ending "massive" informal migration to Europe, mostly by targeting humanitarian search and rescue missions like those run by Doctors Without Borders (MSF), which some have accused of acting as a "taxi service" for migrants.
Links to this posting:
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.