Charge Dropped Against Indigenous Journalist Known For DAPL Coverage: [shadowproof.com] On October 8, 2016, Dewey flew a drone, as part of what he called a “nonviolent drone direct action.” There were other drones up in the air, however, Dewey’s drone was singled out for allegedly flying over property owned by DAPL. He was pulled over in the evening, and police seized his drone.
Dewey was at the National UNITY Conference in Denver, which is a conference for American Indian and Alaska Native youth. He gave a presentation, and then the news of the dropped charges was reported to the young people at the conference.
Youth raised about $800 to help Dewey pay for attorney fees, but he told Shadowproof he plans to give the money to the Water Protector Legal Collective so that it supports other water protectors, who are more in need of support.
Bigger media outlets were requesting to come in and document his case. Dewey suggested that frightened prosecutors and convinced them to back away from the charge against him.
While there may be cause for celebration, Dewey was called by a newspaper in Bismarck and asked if prosecutors had filed additional charges against him. He was concerned this could happen.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.