Where Zionism and the 'alt-right' meet: [mondoweiss.net] As with the Salaita case, these episodes reveal a clear pattern: University administrations falling silent, or actively participating in, persecution of faculty in a concession to the hard right, often openly racist, sexist political attacks.
Zionists and Israel supporters who attacked Salaita called him a racist, bigot and anti-Semite, while themselves falling silent about the deaths of Palestinian children.
We also see universities invoking “free speech” and “academic freedom” primarily to restrict them when they involve critiques of racism, sexism and U.S. imperialism. In an insidious, but typically neoliberal move, the language of social justice is used to attack the principles of social justice.
Here, we see the corporate, neoliberal university at its nefarious worst: aligning itself with the de facto politics of reactionary states (in the Salaita case Israel and the U.S., in the latter specifically the Trump administration).
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform