Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content | Leap to Bottom

Matchbox 20's Rob Thomas apologises for racist joke in Melbourne: 'I cried when I found out' | Music | The Guardian

22.2.16

Matchbox 20's Rob Thomas apologises for racist joke in Melbourne: 'I cried when I found out' | Music | The Guardian: On Sunday the singer of Smooth, Lonely No More and Her Diamonds took to Facebook to explain the joke, which he said was not about race: “I said I drank until I thought I was Australian. Then I drank so much that I thought I was a black Australian and then I drank so much I thought I was a little Australian girl.

“These were 3 things I chose at random to represent 3 things I’m not. I’m not Australian. I’m not black and I’m not a little girl.”

Thomas said that had he known there was a “connection between the indigenous peoples of Australia and a stereotype involving drinking” he would have chosen another example.

“I was so ignorant to the situation that when I heard people groan I actually thought THEY were being racist. I didn’t know until TODAY that just the phrase ‘black Australian’ was racist all on it’s own. (sic)

“I sat in my room and I cried when I found out.”


Read the full article … 

Dispatch: Aboriginal Press Media Group  |   Permalink  |   [22.2.16]  |   0 comments

3800368444798088835

»  {Newer-Posts} {Older-Posts}  «

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 / 22.2.16 / 2016/02/#3800368444798088835




Aboriginal News Group

Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates




This is an Ad-Free Newswire


#ReportHate
============
Southern Poverty Law Center


This site uses the Blogspot Platform



Impressum

Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.