Morning Star :: South Africa: Outcry at university racism follows two violent clashes | The Peoples Daily: Young Communist League condemns attacks on protesters
-- SOUTH AFRICA’S liberation movement spoke out against racism in higher education yesterday after violent clashes at two universities.
The University of the Free State (UFS) was closed yesterday and today following Sunday’s violence during a Varsity Cup rugby match between UFS Shimlas and the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Madibaz.
Students and university workers invaded the pitch in a protest against outsourcing of services. White spectators responded by attacking the black demonstrators and chasing them from the field.
Shocking video footage showed protesters surrounded and being kicked as they lay on the ground.
On Monday, there were scuffles at the University of Pretoria during a demonstration against the use of Afrikaans as the language in lectures.
Afrikaans Must Fall campaign protesters fought with counter-demonstrators from right-wing NGO AfriForum. Protests were expected to continue yesterday.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.