Berta Caceres Supporters Attacked in Peaceful March in Honduras: [readersupportednews.org] At least four people were injured by rocks, machete cuts, and other blows when armed agents attacked a group of peaceful demonstrators, including Honduran and foreign activists and children, on Friday afternoon, reported the Canadian delegation, which includes Rights Action Director Grahame Russell, who spoke with teleSUR on Saturday.
According to a statement released by COPINH, the Indigenous resistance movement that Caceres co-founded over two decades ago, the armed attackers were affiliated with the dam company DESA. The corporation has previously been linked to threats and harassment targeting movement leaders and accused of being involved in Caceres’ assassination.
“Our Canadian delegation was eyewitness to the type of repression that the Lenca-descendant peoples of western Honduras have being suffering since 2013, including the assassination of Berta Caceres, as they resist the illegal, violent imposition of the DESA Agua Zarca hydroelectric dam project," said Russell.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.