Protestors gather at federal office in solidarity with other protests taking place around Canada | Regina Leader-Post: Protests began in Toronto, James Bay and Winnipeg in response to the state of emergencies called by First Nations communities dealing with high rates of suicides and suicide attempts.
On Sunday, Attawapiskat in Northern Ontario called a state of emergency after the 11th suicide attempt in one day in April and in March there were 28 attempts. Last month, Saulteaux Pelly Chiefs Health Alliance declared a state of crisis due to the number of deaths in those communities related to drugs, alcohol, suicide and chronic health issues.
As the group of protestors chanted for change, held up their protest signs, waved flags and passing motorists honked their horns in support, a sign posted on the front door of the INAC office stated the office was closed for the day.
Organizer, Robin Pitawanakwat said she informed INAC about the protest on Thursday and was somewhat surprised by the closure being there were no plans for protesters to enter the building.
INAC confirmed it closed for the day because of the planned protest.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.