Statement Regarding the Government of Canada and Survivors of Newfoundland and Labrador Residential Schools Class Action Settlement - Canada News Centre: Ottawa, Ontario (May 10, 2016) — Today, the Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, and Yvonne Jones, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, made the following statement:
“Today, the Government of Canada and survivors of five Newfoundland and Labrador residential schools have reached an agreement on the proposed settlement of the Newfoundland and Labrador class actions.
The Government of Canada is committed to moving past this sad and terrible chapter in our history, and advancing reconciliation with Indigenous peoples in Canada, through a renewed relationship, and by working to bring healing and closure to the survivors of these schools.
The proposed settlement was presented before the Court today. From now until September, former students will have an opportunity to review the proposed settlement and provide their comments to the Court. At that time, the Court will make a decision on the settlement.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.