Black Lives Matter movement striking a chord with Indigenous Australians, says visiting US activist - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation): Tory Russell grew up in Ferguson, Missouri, and is a founder of Hands Up United, an organisation that formed in the wake of the police shooting of black teenager Michael Brown in 2014.
He joined a rally in Melbourne on Sunday where about 3,500 people gathered in support of the Black Lives Matter movement following a recent outbreak of racial-fuelled violence in the United States.
External Link: Tory Russell tweet
"Aboriginal people in Australia … black people in the United States or anywhere in the diaspora — the oppression is here," he told ABC News Breakfast.
"I'm glad to be here and meeting your organisers and really keeping it going strong.
"They were talking about the same issues of detention and incarceration as we have [in the US]."
Mr Russell said he was not surprised to see the movement gain international traction, because the issues were global.
"When you have … a segment of the population that's not being listened to, not economically being included, and really not being educated or even given the basic human rights … you're going to see a movement," he said.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.