I am living proof of the stolen generation. Trust me, the trauma is real | Elaine Crombie for @IndigenousX | Opinion | The Guardian: I’ve never had to experience on a traumatic level what my mother and uncle did, but there are definite parallels and I have to make mention of this because lately people have spoken out about the subject of the stolen generation and its validity. Trust me, it is real. It did happen. I am living proof of it. I live today with no living culture that I can practise or pass down to my sons. I have no living tongue in my mouth that I can teach my kids. My tongue only knows a colonised speak.
“I am a perfect example of genocide,” I say it all the time, it’s my catchphrase for people who want to ask about my family and where I grew up. I see that look in their eye and have to hit them with a joke to lighten the mood before I spoil their day, you know.
Back to my yarn: I wouldn’t see Mum until Christmas time and she would come home and bring presents along with old scripts from plays that she had worked on during the year. We would read through them and she’d have me cracking up laughing at her stories, making up our own plays and some most of my fondest memories were doing things like this with her.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.