Trudeau government refuses to back clemency appeal for Leonard Peltier: [ipolitics.ca] In a November letter, Wilson-Raybould told the CBA the extradition was lawful.
Peltier was sentenced in 1977 for the murder of two FBI officers during a clash with indigenous activists on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota in 1975. Peltier, a U.S. citizen, fled to Canada after the murders and was apprehended in Hinton, Alberta.
Human rights groups and advocates such as the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu have long called for the release of Peltier, who has been in maximum security prisons for 40 years. An official clemency appeal was sent to U.S. President Barack Obama by Peltier’s lawyers in February.
According to the CBA, a witness in the South Dakota trial provided evidence that the U.S. Department of Justice later said was fabricated. Material affidavit evidence was not disclosed during the trial as well. Both pieces of evidence were used in the extradition hearing.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.