More than 10,000 members of Qalipu First Nation have had their membership revoked - APTN NewsAPTN News: What stands out is that 10,512 who were originally members of the band and granted Indian Status, have been rejected.
Kelly Anne Butler received her letter of acceptance in the mail but said she isn’t celebrating.
“I feel terrible for being accepted,” said Butler about those who had their status taken away.
The Qalipu band originally had close to 24,000 members. Of that number, only 13, 365 current band members will retain status.
“I am shocked at the number that’s being dropped,” said Butler. “When I looked at that number – 10, 512 – that just broke me.”
Butler has spent the last few days talking to people who are dealing with the trauma of losing membership, or families who are divided because some have been getting accepted while siblings, parents or relatives are denied.
“I think that what we’re seeing is the beginning of a serious mental wellness issue,” said Butler. “Some people are depressed. Some people are angry, some people aren’t speaking to family members.”
Links to this posting:
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.