Campuses Wrestle With Wave of Hate-Based Incidents Since Election - Rewire: A psychology major with a minor in women and gender studies at Curry College in Milton, Massachusetts, Botelho told Rewire that she has witnessed “anti-Semitic slurs, swastikas, as well as threats and slurs targeted towards students of color and LGBTQIA students” on campus.
In an email, Botelho said that during the 2016 election someone wrote, “When Trump wins, I will kill all of you T****ys” on her dorm building board; the private bathroom she was offered had “tranny bathroom” scribbled on the wall; and a table in her building was confiscated after it was found vandalized with, “We hate gays, sign if you agree,” allegedly signed by several student athletes and a member of the student government.
Responding to a rash of hate-based incidents in December, a Curry College spokesperson said ten incidents of “bias-related graffiti” targeting groups based on race, religion, gender identity, and sexual orientation were reported since September, The Patriot Ledger reported at that time. This is not typical for the Massachusetts college, the Ledger noted, as it saw just three hate crimes on campus for the 2014 school year and two for the previous school year.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.