British election sets back right-wing agenda for austerity and war – Workers World: The Conservative or Tory Party went into the election holding a small majority of 331 seats out of the 650 seats in Parliament. The second-place Labour Party held 232 seats and the Scottish National Party 56 seats, all in Scotland. The last election had been held in 2015.
Britain operates on a parliamentary system, where the party that receives the majority of seats gets to select the prime minister and can pass its desired legislation. While the next scheduled elections had been set for 2020, May believed she could strengthen her hand by calling early elections. She was so wrong.
The Tories won only 318 seats this election, a loss of 13 and eight seats short of a majority. That means it will need to form a coalition to run the government. There is speculation that May will try to form a bloc with the Democratic Unionist Party, which won 10 seats in the British-occupied provinces of Ireland. (Sinn Fein won the seven other seats there.) The DUP is an openly anti-Catholic and pro-imperialist grouping that has operated paramilitary gangs to fight against Irish freedom.
Links to this posting:
Aboriginal News Group
Contributing Editors, International Correspondents & Affiliates
- (RIP) John John [Occupied Canada]
- Sina Brown-Davis [Occupied Australia]
- (RIP) Ridwan Laher [Rep. of South Africa]
- Mars2Earth [Occupied Aotearoa]
- Bolivia Rising [Bolivia]
- Simon Moya-Smith [Occupied N. America]
- Zashnain Zainal [Malaysia]
- Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria [Peru/Occupied N. America]
- Debbie Reese [Occupied N. America]
- Gerald and Maas Night\u2019s Lantern [Occupied Canada]
- Min Reyes [Occupied Canada]
- @alyssa011968 [Occupied N. America]
- Martyn Namorong [Papua New Guinea]
- Abiyomi Kofi [Occupied N. America]
- Tiokasin Ghosthorse [Occupied N. America]
- Vagabond Beaumont [Occupied Puerto Rico/N. America]
- Lupe Morales [Occupied N. America/Oaxaca,MX]
- Aztatl Garza [Occupied N. America]
This is an Ad-Free Newswire
Southern Poverty Law Center
This site uses the Blogspot Platform
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is maintained by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS) a subset of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All material provided here is for informational purposes only, including all original editorials, news items and related post images, is published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license (unless otherwise stated) and/or 'Fair Use', via section 107 of the US Copyright Law). This publication is autonomous; stateless and non-partisan. We refuse to accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations and assume no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked data of any other referenced website. The APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal and/or violent behaviour.